Friday 11 November 2011

Remembrance Day & Weekend Treats


I saw these fantastic knitted smoothie hats in Sainsbury's last night - if you buy one of these, I think 25p goes to Age Concern.  We knitted some at Stitch 'n' Bitch last year, but I haven't got on with any this year yet - but these inspired me! The pattern is on the Innocent Smoothie webpage.http://innocentdrinks.co.uk/bigknit/what_it_is/index.html


Meanwhile, my lovely snood is coming along quite well. I'm using Rowan Big Wool in Mulberry - a lovely maroonish colour. One ball has knitted about 12 rows but I'm hoping to do the whole thing out of two balls, so I hope I have enough.

I had a moment of real pride in where I live, today: at 11 am, all the traffic had stopped as the two minutes' silence were observed. At the war memorial, a crowd had gathered to see the wreaths laid and there was a real atmosphere of calm.

I'm so glad it's Friday - I am really looking forward to spending the weekend making snoods and reading Alan Hollinghurst's "The Stranger's Child." I've read Part 1 so far and it hasn't disappointed. He's a fantastic writer: wry, precise, unbelievably observant and detailed. Part 1 was so evocative of the era - early 20th century. The child Daphne, confused and attracted to her brother's college friend, is particularly well-drawn.


No comments:

Post a Comment